We’ve had some crazy weather here in Phoenix this week, with rain, cool temperatures and even some hail! You’d think that would make for a boring time at home, being so cooped up, but not with my always-on-the-move baby! He recently discovered the concept of tag, well being chased and then being the chaser. We had a ball crawling around the living room, and after he grew tired of that he had plenty to occupy his time with all of the toys he got this Christmas.
Of course, now that the rain has stopped and the sun’s starting to peek out of the clouds a little, I’m feeling under the weather. But, that’s nothing a delicious bowl of kale soup, with chorizo and sweet potatoes can’t help! This soup is easy to make and the prep is quick, which is great for those nights when you’re don’t feel like spending tons of time in the kitchen. Another plus: it’s a crowd pleaser that the entire family will enjoy. My husband doesn’t usually care for soup as a dinner because he says it’s not filling — this soup though is both healthy AND filling. Have a bowl or two with a side of French bread and you’ve got the perfect meal on a cold night, or just because!
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 8-10)
1 pound of chorizo
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
2 medium bell peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
10 ounces fresh kale
3 boxes (32 oz. each) of chicken stock
Cayenne pepper to taste
1. Sauté bell peppers, garlic and onions in pan until onions turn golden.
2. In large stockpot, heat olive oil on low and add kale — drizzle some more olive oil on top of kale as you stir and cook down.
3. Combine sautéed veggies with kale and add your chicken stock.
4. Keeping heat on low, add the sweet potatoes and cover pot.
5. Brown the chorizo and drain excess oil. Then add to stockpot, stirring to combine all ingredients.
6. Cover and cook on low for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are tender.
7. If desired, season to taste with cayenne pepper for an additional kick and enjoy!
Leave a Reply