Back to home

Emergency C-Section vs A Scheduled C-Section

On Friday, Rhyan will be 3-months-old (3 months!). I thought time flew after having Logan, but now that we’ve got two babies in the mix my days are a whirlwind of nursing one baby, feeding the next, playing with both, putting out tantrums of one, calming the tears of another, and don’t get me started on the poopy diapers, ha. My C-section delivery seems a lifetime ago — maybe it was how calm (relatively speaking) we were this time around, now that it was scheduled rather than an emergency section like the one I needed with Logan.

I wasn’t nervous about the surgery per say, as I knew what to expect. The thing I worried about most was Logan and how he would react to the new baby. My doctor told me I had to wait two weeks or so before bending down to lift him, which added to the list of worries as Logan loved to run over and have me scoop him up. He was 14 months when Rhy was born, so still a baby himself. I worried that he would resent me for the time I’d be spending with his sister, but thankfully things settled into place pretty seamlessly. Logan didn’t really exhibit any extreme signs of jealousy and Myles and the rest of my family were great about scooping him up and putting him in my arms whenever he wanted to be held. It was like we didn’t skip a beat. (Myles’ company giving him five weeks paternity was also helpful.)

My whole heart! Love these three.

That Friday morning when we drove to the hospital I surprisingly didn’t cry — chalk it up to hormones or the emotional person I am, but I found myself crying a couple of times during my pregnancy at the thought of leaving Logan. My hospital stay was going to be my first time away from him overnight. That morning, though, we went about as if it was a normal Friday. Woke up, had breakfast with Logan, I gave him LOTS of snuggles and then we slipped out when he was playing with the grandmas.

On the drive over, I remember talking to Myles about how exciting it was that today was the day we would be meeting our sweet baby girl — the one whose kicks and pokes we had been feeling for the last few months. When we got to the hospital, we checked in and then were shown to our recovery room, where we met the nurses, anesthesiologist, and my doctor. We had to arrive at the hospital for 7:30am, I went into surgery around 9:30am, and by 10:30am Rhyan was in our arms. Looking back at her birth compared to Logan’s, there were some definite similarities, but some obvious differences too.

1. Feelings of nervousness. While we both felt anxious about my pending C-section, it was different because there wasn’t the stress of not knowing if our baby was okay as we had with Logan. With Rhyan, I felt nervous because 1) it’s still major surgery and 2) I remember after receiving my spinal worrying that the anesthesia wouldn’t make it’s way down to my belly and legs in time and that I would feel the doctor cutting into my skin. And since my mind wasn’t racing with a million different thoughts as it did when I was on the operating table during Logan’s birth, I was very aware of my lower body becoming numb.

2. We got to take pictures! This time around Myles was able to take pictures and he actually videotaped Rhyan’s birth. The curtain was still placed across my torso, blocking our view from the surgery, and Myles was seated up by my head as he was with Logan. However, he was able to pop up and look as the doctor broke my water and Rhyan was pulled from my belly. It was pretty incredible to see the footage afterwards. I had no idea that’s what the birth looked like.

3. A relatively fast recovery. After both surgeries, I was up and walking (albeit a very slow shuffle) pretty quickly. For Logan, it was the very next morning (I had him at 6:46 pm the night before), and for Rhyan, it was that same night (I had her at 9:59am). And like the first time, my pain was manageable with the meds.

Snuggles with my two babies.

4. Baby stayed with me the whole time. A big difference this time around was that Rhyan was with us from the moment I delivered her. The hospital we chose didn’t have a nursery and the babies stay “in room” with the mommas. For me, this was a welcomed change as Logan had to spend 12 days in the NICU and I didn’t get to hold him until two days after delivery — so you can imagine how happy I was to have Rhy with me. It was also helpful to have Myles, Logan, and Ya Ya there during the day to help out and then my mom, who stayed with me at night.

5. You know what to expect. Having had a C-section already, I knew the procedure and that I would go into the surgery room first (without Myles) to receive my spinal. I was still nervous about the needle, but like the first time, the nurses and my anesthesiologist were really calming. My doctor was also in there and was chatting with me so as to distract from what was happening and even put on some music!

6. The bleeding after and my incision scar. It completely took me by surprise how much I bled after having Logan. However, I’m not sure if it was my doctor or maybe the fact every recovery is different, but I only bled for about two weeks this time — compared to my six-plus weeks with the first section. My incision scar was a lot smaller too (and I thought it was tiny before!). My scar from Rhyan (the old scar is cut away in the process) is long and razor thin; my doctor really did an incredible job.

7. A guaranteed due date. Well, guaranteed that if baby didn’t come earlier, we would be having her at 39 weeks. It was nice to be able to plan as much as we could around Rhyan’s arrival for April 29th! The day before we had a family adventure with just the three of us, before we became four. And then Myles and I had a date night, because as we learned from Logan — the first weeks of bringing baby home are a whirlwind. Surprisingly though, Rhy is a sleeper! Yes, we’re still pinching ourselves to make sure it’s true. I like to think that God is giving us a break, as Logan is quite the opposite and he knew we’d have our hands full with TWO babies who don’t like to sleep, ha.

Miss Rhyan after her very first bath.


By Ravelle, July 26, 2016
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Join The Mommy Brain Community
The motherhood juggle is real! Mommy Brain was created as a safe space to ask questions, share experiences, and to grow as both women and mothers. Every month there will be a series of live Q&A discussions led by guest speakers, delving into facets of motherhood that are not always openly discussed.
Follow Us
mm-family-icons wellness-mm adventure-mm mm-eatsicon lifestyle-mm

Newsletter signup

Follow Us On Instagram
Find us on instagram